Now for something that's a little bit more January friendly! Since August, I've been on a very little bit of a diet. Nothing drastic, but I've been following a low fat plan to try and make my day to day eating habits a little more healthy, so I could feel a little less guilty about eating out at weekends or chomping my way through large bags of crisps in front of the X Factor. This is the problem with living with a skinny boy with a sweet tooth - he can eat what he likes. I can't.
It hasn't affected the baking that badly because I've always been more of a 'feeder' with my baking and usually try out recipes with others in mind rather than myself. But some Hairy Dieters recipes in the October issue of Good Food caught my eye and I had earmarked the Skinny Lemon Cupcakes to try out - just 175 calories a pop!
It can be a bit risky making anything low fat for people in case they think you're trying to make some kind of point, but one of my work colleagues had just had an operation and was going to be out of action for a couple of months. She was saying that people kept bringing her chocolates and she was worried about the effect this would have on her waistline since she wasn't going to be able to get up and about for a while yet. But I wanted to take her something home baked and decided that these cupcakes would be perfect as a less guilty pleasure.
They were delicious! I didn't think the sponge tasted any
different to a usual cake except it had that slightly firmer (almost
towards rubbery?) texture that I find cakes made with oil often have.
The only giveaway was the icing - it was lovely, but there just clearly
wasn't very much of it! That doesn't really bother me as I often scrape
the icing/buttercream off cakes anyway, I'm a plain sponge kinda girl
(and it may also have something to do with my butter intolerance...!).
Anyway, I would most definitely recommend whipping these up for a guilt
200g self raising flour, sifted
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g golden caster sugar
grated zest of 1 lemon
150ml low fat natural yoghurt
2 tbsp semi skimmed milk
50ml sunflower oil
100g icing sugar, sifted
4 tsp of the juice from the lemon
1. Pre heat oven to 200c and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Stir together the flour, bicarb, golden caster sugar, lemon zest, and blueberries in a bowl.
3. Beat the eggs with a whisk, then add the oil, yoghurt and milk and beat until combined.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the eggy mix. Stir in with a metal spoon.
5. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 14-16 minutes until golden and risen. Cool on a wire rack.
6. To make the topping, simply mix the lemon juice and icing sugar together in a bowl until smooth and drizzle over the cakes. Leave to set for around 30 minutes before serving.
I'm entering these low fat lovelies into January Calendar Cakes hosted by Laura Loves Cakes and Dolly Bakes, with Laura Loves Cakes doing the hosting this month - the theme is New Year, New You.